The Black Ship Batrachian

A forum for the unimpressed.

Steampunk Kowloon Discussion Thread

The place for forum games- come and join the fun!

Moderator: Gojoe

Re: Steampunk Kowloon Discussion Thread

Postby mothrax » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 am

My sheet is in as well! I am excited about this!
ImageImageImageImage
mothrax
Buccaneer

Postby trillicat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:51 pm

I now have 5 out of 9 expected character sheets. And reading back through this thread, I notice Arzades made a hint about playing. Arzades, did you want in? If so, send me a character sheet. I can still use people in either time period, so that's open. I've got at least 2 female characters, which is great! Some of you are really doing quite well with the imaginative back story and character descriptions so far, which will make my job much easier.

Please, if you are on the list and want to opt out, let me know sooner rather than later so I can get the ball rolling for those who have already turned in character sheets.
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby Old_Bean » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:38 am

Feel free to flesh out my character as much as you like and PM me. Seriously, go nuts, especially if it means my character can fit into your universe better.
The world is unfair and it will burn...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Z‎etta wrote:All problems involve people, otherwise it's a puzzle, not a problem
Old_Bean
Ancient Mariner

Postby Sunburnt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Hey, sorry for my absence. I've been super busy these last few days, but I should have time tonight to scrap up a character sheet.
Any position you still want/need filled? I'm willing to go as anything, though keep in mind I have little experience compared to the rest of these folks (esp. as far as formal RP goes).
ImageImage
Sunburnt
Buccaneer

Postby trillicat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Either side still needs PCs, so it just depends on your preference right now. :)
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby trillicat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Just to help the 4 of you still working (presumably) on your character sheets, here's an accounting of what I have so far:

1986:
- 16 year old male (martial arts expert)
- 32 year old male (martial arts proficient)

2018:
- 23 year old female (street fighting knowledge; ethnic advantage)
- 26 year old female (self-defense trained)
- 26 year old male (unspecified combat skills at present)

I'm pretty happy with the character descriptions so far. I would like for everyone in the 2018 crowd (wish a possible exception of some sort of all-around techno-geek) to have fairly extensive combat training background, since this is a special task force operation, so if you would like to add some more description to your particular abilities there, please go ahead and do so sooner rather than later.

I have requested a mafia boss character and a prostitute for 1986 Kowloon, but I can always make these NPCs if no one wants to play them.
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby trillicat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Okay, folks. I know two of you are working on your sheets, but I haven't heard from the other two of you, which is fine because there is still time.

I will be out of town for the next 5 days, so please try to get your character info to me during that time so that I can try to formalize the intro for everyone and get started as soon as possible after I get back. (I'll have internet access, just infrequent opportunity, if that makes sense.)

So, by Wednesday-ish (more likely Thursday) I am hoping to return, providing all goes well with the trip. If I do not have your sheet by the time I return, I will probably have to exclude you from the initial part of the game so that we can get it rolling.
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby trillicat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Okay, folks, I'm back.
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby mothrax » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:33 am

Yay! momma trilli is back!
ImageImageImageImage
mothrax
Buccaneer

Postby trillicat » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Okay, I've had one person drop out, and two more are trying to finish their character sheets. As it looks now, I should be able to start the game early next week. Thanks for the warm welcome, mothrax! :)
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby Mithras » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:00 am

I have a small problem in that I'll be sans computer every weekday of next week. So would it be ok to plan to drop my character in the weekend after? Thanks, and enjoy yourselves.
Mithras
Jim Lad

Postby trillicat » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Not a problem. We'll just hold off on meeting your character until then.
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby trillicat » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:56 pm

A thank you to Haragorn for asking some questions that help me flesh out for the rest of you some of the realities of 2018. For those of you existing in 1986 Kowloon, please kindly pretend you know none of this (which I'll spoilerize in case you do not trust yourselves) because, really, you would not, in character.
Spoiler:
Is the task-force American? Chinese? English? Global? Were the members picked from the world's best, or were they recruited like for any typical job? Were they chosen from any specific geographic area?

Members of the team are a globally selected unit of elite.

Did the members apply to join, or were they set invitations? If they were sent invitations, was there then a sort of testing/interviewing process?
They are a secret task force that specializes in averting world disaster.

What is the world like? Is nanotechnology available everywhere? Do only the rich have it, or can anyone get some?
In 2018, the world is becoming populated with more and more nanotechnology, though the distribution of it is largely confined to first world countries and rogue groups that have acquired some of the new advanced technology for use.

Is the world unified, or do countries still exist? Are there any ongoing political or military struggles?
Countries still exist largely as we know them today, although the lines are more blurred between G20 nations. In particular, Europe (including the UK, Scandinavia, Ireland, etc. as well as Continental Europe), Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand have all come to some sort of economic consensus to help drag the world out of a massive economic recession. China and Japan are also very close to this alliance and share in much of the benefit, although Hong Kong is becoming a bit of a problem. There have been threats from Kowloon in particular that seem to indicate a possibility of world-wide "cleansing". In this reality, Hong Kong has never set about (historically) to achieve the demise of the Walled City of Kowloon. The 2018 crowd will be attempting to bring about the reality of its destruction as we know it today.

Are there still the equivalent of today's third-world countries?
Yes, and they are primarily the same as they are now, although there may be some rogue groups with higher technology. Similar to today where a remote village in the desert may have satellite phone and internet access, the same sort of people would still have greater technology in 2018, but more of it would be nanotech. This includes Kowloon in 2018.

What are the education systems like?
Education is moving more toward online degrees and even internet secondary school. Around half of students are receiving diplomas without ever setting foot on campus.

When was nanotechnology first developed?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology#Origins

What milestones were there in the development?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implications_of_nanotechnology Some of these issues are still importantly unresolved. It is a source of debate worldwide as those who are speaking out in 2010 finally become heard in 2018 about the dangers posed by nanoparticles becoming released freely into the world.

When did various countries/areas have nanotechnology widely available?
Nanotechnology is already in large stages of production and gradually increases like a graph of a square root: Image

When, if ever, was nanotechnology development taught in schools/colleges?
Nanotechnology in 2010 is largely developed by university students and their professors. More and more becomes developed by private, capitalist organizations so that by 2018, nanotechnology is primarily developed by businesses with the same disregard for consequences that modern single-use product manufacturers have for the long term effects of their efforts. As with any education, slowly over the years, only the very basics of nanotechnology (primarily the good parts) filter down through the pre-collegiate education system, which is still fallaciously promoting the existence of a dinosaur called Brontosaurus.

When we do start the game, it is important to remember that your character may not know the same things that you do as yourself. If you are privileged with information, such as what I've included in the above spoiler, remember that your character may not know all those details and will either be ignorant of them or come to learn them through the play of the game.
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby Haragorn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Spoiler:
trillicat wrote:Members of the team are a globally selected unit of elite.
So, have the members worked together before? About how large is this organization? How long has it been operating? Is the organization secretive? Does the organization have multiple operations going on at the same time? Does it have separate dedicated teams, or are the teams put together as each mission requires?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Haragorn
Ancient Mariner

Postby Haragorn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Suggestion: Each of us on the taskforce should send a PM to each of the other members. This should have an edited version on our bio, tailored to list only the things about us that the other person knows. For example, I might have one some of my comrades know my birthday, but not tell others. Somebody else could know my middle name. Physical things would obviously be included, but not all of the backstory, special traits, or attitude. Alignment could probably be left off. The amount of detail would depend o the answer to my questions in the previous post. It would also depend on each character's personality. These could not be done before the bios are in, though, and a list of the taskforce members is published. The messages could also be in parts: names would be exchanged, then physical specifications, then attitude, then traits, then backstory. This would allow people to gain a better understanding of how their characters would get along, and from that know how much to reveal.

What is the date in 2018?
Haragorn
Ancient Mariner

Postby mothrax » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:14 pm

I like gorns suggestion... it would make playing online a bit easier, since we won't get the face to face interaction...
(that and I really wanna get in depth with my character since the attitude is something I always want to act like but can't because of those damned social norms..)
ImageImageImageImage
mothrax
Buccaneer

Postby Haragorn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 pm

The same thing could be done for any Kowloonians who might know each other.
Haragorn
Ancient Mariner

Postby trillicat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Haragorn wrote:
trillicat wrote:Members of the team are a globally selected unit of elite.
So, have the members worked together before? About how large is this organization? How long has it been operating? Is the organization secretive? Does the organization have multiple operations going on at the same time? Does it have separate dedicated teams, or are the teams put together as each mission requires?

To simplify things, I will say that this particular group of team members has not worked together before. This way there is no need for pre-sharing of information, and you all can share what you like about yourselves through the development of the story.

Spoilering the rest for the Kowloonians (who may read it, but again, remember, your character will not know these things if you're in 1986):
Spoiler:
The size of the organization is unknown to its members. It's all strictly covert ops. Orders arrive and are obeyed. There are myriad theories abounding as to when this particular Organization developed, but team members are not privy to any information which could compromise the Organization if captured during a mission. Everything for the agents is on a need-to-know basis. And they don't need to know much except the target and what to bring. The teams are organized by a superior officer who is not known to team members and all contact is kept so that that remains as such. As you can imagine, the members of such an elite organization have had training in a variety of different fields and each has a special talent qualifying him or her for selection on the team. Most of the team (with a singular exception of Haragorn's character) will have had some experience previously with these missions but only within their current temporal realm. None have time traveled other than in the usual way, ploddingly through life.
trillicat
Lieutenant

Postby Haragorn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:28 pm

What do members call the organization?
Haragorn
Ancient Mariner

Postby trillicat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:57 pm

And by last week I mean.... Sorry for not getting the ball rolling, folks. I have had quite a bit going on lately, so I haven't had a chance to get things started. I'm heading out of town in a couple of days and will be gone about a week. I may also have a broken foot (will find out tomorrow which bit(s) is/are broken) of unknown origin.

So, thanks for your patience, and in the mean time, if there are any changes you want to make to your character, get them to me. Mithras has said that he will be out of town for much of the same time as myself (though he'll be in Thailand, whereas I'm only going to Atlanta and perhaps Minneapolis). I've got a lot to get done before heading out of town, so it seems unlikely that I'll be able to start much until I get back. Sorry. :p
trillicat
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Lanterloo, Bone-Ace and Other Pirate Games